Friday, March 4, 2011

Mute.

I think this will finally be my shortest post! Why? Because I've been couped up in my room for days now. It'd be nice to get out and try to hang out with people, but it's pretty hard when you can't talk...

Last Friday night I came down with a fever and a sore throat. Luckily the fever only held through til Saturday night-ish, then Sunday I felt a lot better. I still had a sore throat and was somewhat congested, but I considered myself to be healing up fine. My throat still hurt quite a bit Monday night and I was worried about teaching all day the next day, but I wasn't sick enough to stay home, so I just prayed God would keep my voice up for me for all six of my classes for that day.

Well, he kept my voice for all six classes (barely)!! And right after the sixth class my voice was completely shot. I could croak, but that was pretty much the extent of my talking.  

So, I figured my voice would rest that night and I would be fine Wednesday morning.

WRONG.

It got worse, actually. And I couldn't even croak anymore, though I could whisper alright. And, my ear has started aching, meaning an infection or something. All I had with me was an herbal thing my mom had me take that works mostly when you first start getting a sore throat. Too bad I didn't even realize I had it until AFTER I had gotten through my fever. Anyway, luckily one of the guys in our group had more meds which I started taking Wednesday night. It was my first time every taking cough syrup!! Not a great experience. But, at least now I've done it! Also, I basically poured it straight down my throat as fast as possible, so I'm not sure it did anything anyway. 

So, it's now Friday. Whispering is still the only thing I can get out of my voice box, and I obviously had to get someone else to teach for me yesterday. It's been pretty sad, and I feel like I can't even really socialize with anyone because it's hard to do so when you can't talk... Anyway, that's been my life for the past week.

On the bright side, I've been able to get quite a bit of reading done which is fun! And, I cleaned my room up pretty well... And, I've become MUCH more grateful for a voice and feel like I can sympathize on the very smallest scale what mute people might go through sometimes. 

At any rate, I'm going to try and see the school nurse today! So, we'll see how that goes.... either way, I have great hopes for being able to talk tomorrow!! I'll let you guys know how it goes!!

1 comment: