Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Confessions of a Young Mom


This is my confession:

Sometimes I let myself wonder if I'm "cut-out" to be a mom. Mostly for the following reasons:

1. Boredom. I stay at home with my now eleven-month old baby all day. I don't live close enough to any family members and haven't made good enough friends to feel like I can go "hang-out" all day with people. So, almost every day it's just me and Ellie. It's fun to play with her for a little while, but am I expected to play with her for eight hours while my husband is away at work? Straight? The internet says that if I let her watch too much TV with me that I'm a bad mom because it could cause problems for her later--ADHD or something. Also I can only watch so much TV during the day. I try to read, but of course at eleven months, whatever I'm 'playing' with is way cooler than anything Eleanor is playing with, so then it's really just a constant game of tug-of-war. We both get pretty sick of that game after a while. Then of course I try to write or do other things on the computer, but then she can't stand that I'm ignoring her and once again playing with something cooler than what she has. So, she cries at my feet instead. This is something else I can only take for so long. Eleanor could do it all day though. So, what can I do? Sit there. Just sit there. All day. Watching her play and occasionally interacting--sneaking little moments that I can to read, work-out, or write--those little moments when she's preoccupied for a few minutes or right before she's noticed I'm not paying attention to her anymore. I'm bored SO much of the time. I'm thinking this will change as she gets older, but as of right now I have to wonder, do 'good' moms do nothing but play with their baby all day?

2. Not being able to get out. This kind of goes along with the boredom thing. But, the thing with Ellie is that she really is such a good baby when she's entertained, and entertaining her is usually not that hard to do. She's super social and is great when we do get to go and do other things with other people/kids. I would love to do some kind of volunteer work in the community or get involved with things. But then I think, who would even let me volunteer with a baby tag-a-long? Even if I knew she'd be fine just being in a new place, I couldn't go and try to do anything. Then, of course, even if I did find something to get involved in that Eleanor could come along with, I don't have a car. I guess that has nothing to do with whether or not I'm a good mom, but I'll admit sometimes I think about some of the things I could do if I didn't have to stay at home with her all day.

3. I am so much more impatient than I ever remembering being pre-baby. Eleanor is like her mom--utterly depressed without attention. She's also like her dad--bored with things way faster than should be possible. So, the result is a lot of "fake" crying/whining. All the moaning and screaming without the tears. I get so sick of it some days I just want to scream. My worst confession is that I actually have a few times. I'm pretty much completely positive it's impossible for this child to play by herself for more than three minutes at a time. The worst is when I try to do dishes while she's awake--she just pulls on my legs and "cries" the entire time. It doesn't matter how many toys I put on the floor next to me. Who knew someone would hate me doing dishes more than I do! I am, thus, often very frustrated and frazzled throughout the day as I try to do things around the apartment or for myself.

I guess if that's it I can't be doing too terrible, right? Hmmm.

At any rate, I feel like the only things I hear on blogs and from moms is how wonderful being a mom is and how perfect their children are (I'm aware this is untrue and simply my self-pity fooling with my brain). Granted the moms who have a few more kids will usually rant about how crazy keeping track of more than one is--and how their life is constantly going. Those, I'm sure, will be comforting to hear/read in the coming years, but for now I feel like, AM I THE ONLY ONE?!??! I hope not. That would make me feel preeettty stupid.

To end on a much more positive note, these are some of the things that make it all worth it:

1. It's so easy to make this baby girl laugh it's ridiculous. Ridiculously awesome, that is. She laughs ALL the time and all day, so long as anyone gives her any attention. Sometimes all I have to do is make a silly face and she's laughing and jumping and clapping. Too cute. She LOVES to play--way more than she loves exploring. I'd say she's pretty typical compared to her age group when it comes to loving knew things, but there's a reason she rarely leaves the room I'm in--and if she does it's not for very long. She could miss an opportunity to play and laugh with me!! Sometimes I think even her laughing is sounds forced--even if her parents aren't that funny, she'll give us a courtesy laugh just so we'll keep playing. It's really incredibly cute. She's definitely the FUNNEST baby I've ever played with and it does make our days SO fun!

2. Talk about SOCIAL! If you haven't guessed from everything I've already said, Ella LOVES people. Almost all people, though for a while she was really scared of guys (I think she's almost over that). It makes it SO easy to go anywhere because I know people will love her because she will love them and everyone will love each other and it will be a great time! Pretty much every Sunday at church is like this--she smiles at anyone sitting next to us and immediately has a friend: See ya later when I'm hungry, mom and dad, I've got people to meet!! It makes church, parties, hang-outs, reunions, ANY social event even more fun having Eleanor there! She probably cries less outside the house with other people than she does inside the house with just me. That thought could make me sad, but I'm grateful to have such a social baby so I never have to dread leaving the house!

3. Ella Mei is so sweet and absolutely the EASIEST baby to console. Meaning if there ever is anything wrong, all I have to do is hold her for a couple minutes and/or distract her with a toy or a mirror (her reflection is the surest way to make her smile) and it's like nothing ever happened. Aside from when she feels she needs attention, she RARELY cries and it's so easy to stop if she does! She might bump her head or fall, but play with her right after and she'll probably not even notice. It's so uncommon for me to ever feel like I don't know why she's crying--I count myself beyond lucky for that!

4. With how much Eleanor loves everyone ELSE, it's so special to see all the signs that tell just how much she loves me! Before I became a mom I would've found that statement ridiculous--she's my daughter of course she loves me! But, after having Ellie, those signs that she loves me as her mom are always treasured moments that what I do is worth it and wonderful. I feel fulfilled--complete--not just that everything I do matters, but that it matters to me. I feel this way when she cries when she sees me leave the house; when I come home while Mark is trying to put her to sleep, but upon seeing me she gets so excited it takes an extra twenty minutes; when she's hurt and all she wants is me; when I go into her room in the morning and her face goes from crying to complete excitement when she sees me; the moments when all she wants to do is be held by me. Those little things are what add up, making my life the best that it's ever been.

I guess in the end I always have doubts of whether I'm a complete disaster of a mom--and I'm not fishing for any approbation, but I suppose most moms probably have similar feelings at some point or another. And. I'm far from hopeless--I've got plenty more kids to raise before turning in my test scores! ;)

9 comments:

  1. I remember this!! When people would say how "two is just so much harder than one," or "you're not a real parent till you've had three", I always scoffed. One is hard for different reasons. YOU are the SOLE entertainment!! And it's exhausting! Exhausting in a boring sort of way.

    So NO you aren't alone. But you don't have a car, and that makes things worse. When it was just Mac and I all day, we would bring lunch to Mark at school and he would play with Mac at the gym where he worked while I went jogging. It was life-saving. And besides that, park days with other mommas made me the great friends I hang out with today. Would you be interested in that? We should start it up again.

    You are awesome, your sacrifice is noted, and you will not regret being the one to raise your daughter!! I know it's boring, but can you imagine the alternative??

    Time marches on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we'll have to get another car soon. Anyway, we should totally do park day, even though lately it's been so hot outside--we might have to wait 'til the weather is more agreeable! Anyway, thanks for the encouragement Allie!!

      Delete
  2. Oh how fun to read and remember! I thought with Steff I couldn't get anything done. And Then Dad would come home and would ask me 'what did you do today?', like a was just loafing around.
    I love your sharing, my motto became, 'make hay while the sun shines'. (If there was ever a moment when they were distracted or asleep I'd jump on it)
    I learned to focus in little sparks of time, never on MY schedule. It IS HARD to give up oneself's interests, and turn your life plan over to the demands of the day. Good Luck, you're doing WELL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS MOM!! Haha, Mark has done the same thing--like father like son I guess ;) But some days the toys on the floor and the unfolded laundry just aren't my priority!
      I've definitely learned how precious nap-times are! I always used to save all the things on my 'to-do' list to do at the same time, but I'm having to learn to 'make hay while the sun shines,' like you said, and get things done in spurts--something I think you've definitely mastered. You give me hope--some day I'll get there! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, Dana!! I will Skype you every darn day. (I almost did today, but I signed up to feed the missionaries tonight and was a little bit crazy, but I totally should have called anyway. TOMORROW!)
    I'm pretty lucky with Daisy, she loves entertaining herself (at least for now)...but on the days when she can't and is needy and cries all the time I can barely stand it. I think you are a stupendous Mom for giving Ellie so much attention - isn't it kind of cool that you CAN do that with only one kid?! And when she has a sibling to boss around, well, they say they entertain each other right?? So this can only last so long :)
    And I've totally been one of those stick-it-to-the-man, bring my baby with me even if they're not expecting it, nurse in the middle of gospel doctrine and relief society kind of Moms. Haha. You should totally volunteer anyway! MOM POWER!
    Also do you a) have a stroller and b) live in a safe area?! Walks saved my life when I nannied. (Those kids were incapable of entertaining themselves and also since I was getting paid to be there I felt bad ignoring them :P )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Rachel, you're great!
      I have thought about how cool it is that we can be best friends right now and how this much time won't be spent with any of the other kids one-on-one. It's said for the other kids in a way and sweet for us I guess.
      And yes!! I love going on walks--I did a lot when we first moved, but now the weather has gotten SO HOT and we are not early enough risers to get out before the heat does. I still go walking through it once a week to the library, though and it feels good to get out! :)

      Delete
  4. I love your honesty Dana. I seriously wonder all the time if other moms do more than me. Am I just a boring mom while other moms are out doing fun, amazing things with their babies every day all day? I try to get out, but most days we just play at home and it's definitely a lifestyle adjustment. It's so much more difficult to get out when you have to plan around baby's nap time and pack a bunch of things for her every time you leave the house. And friends your own age are much harder to come by (at least where we live). Do you go on walks with her? Sometimes all I need is a good walk to feel refreshed. It's so different from our college days huh? Lol. But so worth it of course. I try to remind myself that these relaxed days spent at home are numbered. Before you know it she'll be all independent, going to school, and having friends to play with. You guys need to move back to Utah and be our neighbors. Then we can have fun play dates every day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke!!! I know, some times I feel like a recluse but it IS difficult to plan around going out--I always think to myself, "How did this diaper bag get so full? What is even IN here?" But I know it's all stuff I'll need!
      Yes walks ARE life-saving some days. Lately, though it's been so hot around here that I only go on walks about once a week. I'm thinking I need to change up Ellie's schedule a little bit so maybe we'll start walking up early enough to beat the sun and then we can get out for a bit. It's totally an adjustment and it didn't help that for the first six months of Eleanor's life we were living with family members so we both got used to constant attention from the people around us.
      Man, that would be SO COOL if we lived close by! I would love it!! Then our daughters could become best friends and we would never be bored!! :)

      Delete
  5. Stop being hard on yourself! You are a great mom. PS, I love your posts. So entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete